Sunday, February 28, 2010

Things Unique to Okinawa

Alrighty, I was looking through my last couple weeks of pictures and noticed I had some things that are pretty unique to Okinawa. Let's start out with:

I know Starbucks isn't unique, but I'm pretty sure the flavor I got is at least unique to Japan. I got a Sakura Steamer. Sakura is Japanese for cherry blossom and while the blooms won't start on the mainland until about April, they've already come and gone here on Oki. The drink has a very unique, slightly sweet cherry flavor. I think it's delicious and hope to get it at least once more before its season runs out.
I went to Jusco (huge department store) to check out their produce and saw these:

I've seen kids wearing these backpacks, but had no idea how pricey they were. The cheapest one I saw was 23,000 yen (about $240) and they went up to 45,000 yen. Yowzers, just give me a Trapper Keeper! Apparently they are supposed to last the kids from when they start school through middle school. Here's to hoping they don't outgrow it.
Last week Patti and I drove north up 58 (the main highway) and stopped at cute stores and found a little resort that served lunch. I wasn't that impressed with my curry, but I was intrigued with Puffy Snow.

The lady kind of shaved the ice cream off this big block (it was still creamy, definitely not shaved ice). It came off very light and fluffy. Mine then had caramel and chocolate added. It was delicious, but not as good as real ice cream.
And lastly, there is a drink I've been wanting to try for a while now. The kids at the Youth Center like it and I've been a little scared to bite the bullet. Why, you ask? Because the drink has little chunks in it. I know, sounds a little icky.

But it was really good. It's aloe and grape, but tastes like a good grape juice. The chunks aren't too firm. They're kind of like mini grapes without the skins. I probably won't have it again because I don't like to waste calories on drinks, but I'm glad I tried it.

4 comments:

Liza said...

You can get that puffy ice cream at one of those furniture stores in the Living Design area - forgot which one though.

Charity said...

I'm a little weirded out by a drink I have to chew. Today Jess bought a white Fanta. It smelled and tasted like pure vanilla.

Courtney said...

Nice chunky tongue!! LOL!!! It takes some courage to try something that is completely foreign...good for you. I always think it is funny to see the different things sold in a familar place like that Starbucks drink. It's like going to a Burger King in London and thinking you will see Whoppers but seeing how they put their own spin on it.
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

Anonymous said...

I had a Sakura Frappacino (sp?) in the airport, very yummy and it had little candy bits on top, I recommend it. Thanks for the great time, I can't wait to come back!
Marybrown