Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just call me sensei!

Woohoo! I found a job! Ok, job might be too strong of a word because it's only 2 hours a week, but I am getting paid for my time! That hasn't happened in about 15 months! Ashley, a spouse who was also at Mildenhall with us, is PCSing soon and she asked me to take over teaching her 3 Japanese students English. I sat in on today's session and know that I can do this. I thought the students were going to be younger, but one is in her 30s and I think the other 2 are in their 40s. They are all so cute! It seems like they start the session with Ashley asking them what they did this weekend and them having to answer in English and then there's a workbook that offers conversational and written lessons. I think it is going to be a lot of fun and I think it will be a good way for me to work on my Japanese as well.

I'm also looking into getting a job as a manager at a gift shop on one of the other bases. That would be for about 30 hours/week. The gift shop is really cute with items from all over southeast Asia. Most of the stuff is reasonably priced and all the profits go back to scholarships or other programs benefiting military families. The salary doesn't start off great, but there is room for raises and the best part is that I could get to go on store shopping trips around Asia to help pick what the store should sell. I know it's completely out of my field, but I'm pretty excited about it. I'll keep you posted.