Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Career That Wasn't

Every week we receive an email with our base bulletin. It lists things like upcoming events, volunteer opportunities, job openings, etc. Well, this week's had an advertisement from the Red Cross offering a free 6 month training course to be a dental assistant. You get hands-on training and at the end of the 6 months you're ready to be hired into a relatively good paying job. I'm constantly thinking about having a job that is more portable to fit this military lifestyle than my fisheries training provides. So I saved that email and headed to work at the Youth Center.
Later that afternoon a kid named Bryce came up to me and said, "look Ms. Amy, I've got 2 loose teeth!". He then proceeded to open his mouth and rotate his teeth with both his tongue and his fingers. That totally triggered my gag reflex and made me want to vomit. So I'm guessing dental assistant isn't for me and I'm back to square one.
In other Youth Center news my running club kids completed their second 5K yesterday!
I was especially proud of the kids because it was rainy, cool, and windy! Besides a few chattering teeth before the race started I didn't hear any complaints.
I absolutely LOVE how supportive the parents are! Plus, I got a huge bonus that 2 of my WOOT (Women On Okinawa Trails) friends came out to support the team and run as well. Another WOOT lady was there taking pictures of the club for the base paper. We're going to be celebrities.
No really, if you're in Japan you might see us some day on a billboard. There was a Japanese sports drink company there and they want to sponsor us. They're willing to provide t-shirts for the club and shoes for the top boy and girl in exchange for us having their logo on our sleeve and possibly taking some photos. I am so excited about this!
Here's my group including the volunteers:
The running club is definitely my favorite part of the week and I'm glad the weather isn't so hot that we have to cancel it yet. I should be able to get in 4 more runs with them before I take leave in June. Woohoo! Kids Run the World!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This is all great. Your hard work is paying off. Well done. Sorry about the dentist thing.

Charity said...

I would never want to mess in people's teeth, either! And I already think you're famous, Amy. :-)

Liza said...

HAHAHAHA! I was thinking about the dental thing too. But since you mentioned that you have a gag reflex too ... I think I'll pass.

Great job - to you and the kids!

Courtney said...

Wow, that loose tooth situation happened at just the right time from the sounds of it!!! :>
So exciting about the running club...doing such a great thing for those kids too. Looks like that is the direction you need to take your career?!
Courtney
adventures in tri-ing

Anonymous said...

Watch out Gatorade, here comes the next big thing. I think that's awesome. I'm proud of you and your runners!
Monica

The Bertsch Family said...

A is definitely for AMY is AWESOME! You rock girl and I love reading about your adventures!